Saturday, November 14, 2009

Welcome to planet earth Peanut



Peanut looks up at me knowingly and calmly. Then he purposefully fondles me until he finds my breast and then expertly attaches and begins suckling. I am bemused and stunned that he is so competent at breastfeeding. I still have one arm attached to a drip and I am exhausted, elated and immensely proud of myself.

I count his toes and fingers and study his features while cuddling him close to me. I am terrified that I will drop him overboard as they wheel me out to the recovery ward. ‘Would you like a cup of tea?’ asks a nurse smiling down at me. ‘I would love it’ I exclaim as I realize I am starving.

I am in a bubble of love overcome with love and tenderness. Special Bloke has tears in his eyes. We cannot take our eyes off this magical creature and cannot comprehend that we will be looking after him for the next 23 years or so. We sit mesmerized until the tea and toast arrives when we become ferociously hungry lions tearing at the toast, munching noisily. A whole new chapter of our lives has opened……

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    My name is Sharon Smith and I am the assistant editor of Gynecology.net. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Gynecology.net offer a free informational resource to both the general and professional public on several women health issues.

    I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at sharon.gynecology.net@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete